What is the difference between a counsellor and a psychotherapist?

A Psychotherapist registered with the United Kingdom Council for Psychotherapy (UKCP) a psychotherapist will have undertaken an extensive post graduate training including an academic component generally exceeding MA level, extensive work experience and own experience of person therapy. In terms of work experience, as psychotherapy tends to be a longer term endeavour a psychotherapist will have had to work with long term clients. Psychotherapists tend to work with a wide scope of concerns from emotional difficulties to psychiatric disorders.

A Counsellor or Psychotherapist registered with the British Association of Counselling and Psychotherapy will undergo an accredited training programme that is generally shorter term than that for the UKCP. They also have extensive work experience prior to registration but will not necessarily have worked with clients on a long term basis or in psychiatric settings and they may not have undergone personal therapy themselves.  

Contact Us

Click here to get in touch with Nicholas Rose & Associates.

Contact Us

Same Day Appointments

We can offer same day appointments for our services.
Call us now on 020 8996 9551


Nicholas was always a patient, sensitive and generous listener, who would sit with me quietly while I was able to confront a difficult time I had been through and what had led up to that. It took a little while, but after almost a year of t...

More Testimonials

Can we help you?

Take our short survey to see if talking to us might be helpful.

Take Survey